[Ubuntu PA] New meeting times for the NTR Linux Laptop Project

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 18:37:39 BST 2008

Hi everyone,

I've decided to limit my presence at NTR.  Instead of going there up to
3 times a months I'm dropping it down to once a month - only during the
Bring a Computer Workshop.  There's not much to do with the NTR Linux
Laptop project anymore.  We've finished all the laptops that are capable
of accepting DSL.  Now they just need to be sold.  Last I checked there
are 2 in the store and 10 in the warehouse.  So before or during the
Workshop, we can attempt to do the following:
    1) enter products into database
    2) check inventories
    3) make sure 'for sale' laptops are setup and demonstrating correctly

The Bring a Computer Workshop is a great way to interface directly with
the people that we think need our help the most.  So far, almost every
time I've gone to one I've installed Ubuntu onto a PC.  Either as a dual
boot (Win + Ubuntu) or just straight Ubuntu.  I don't force it either
(:  I give an honest effort to help with their Windows problem but there
are many times when a fast 1/2 hour Ubuntu install just gives them what
they want: a functional PC.  The only way it works is if they truly
understand what you're giving them AND you understand what they need.
If they can only use AOL or Netzero dialup or NEED MS Word for
work/school, then you know the responsible thing to do.

Look forward to seeing some of you there next month.  Here's the
calendar for more info on the time and place:
http://www.meetlinux.com/calendar/

-kevin