[Ubuntu PA] questions about OSS usage at NTR

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Jul 21 17:51:51 BST 2008

On Sunday 20 July 2008 20:40:56 Brian Stempin wrote:
> Issue 4:  Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one's advocating that NTR release
> ONLY Ubuntu, but rather to make it an option.  If it has a Winmodem, then
> install Windows on it.

We tend to have our own perspectives on this, so please correct me if I am
wrong. This point seems rooted in some notion that dialup is still cheaper
than broadband, and that NTR's customers will actually use the modems, win or
otherwise.  Heck, I wonder how many of those customers even have land lines.
I confess ignorance of the dial up market, but I know something about the NTR
customer base as it mostly overlaps the community served by my non-profit
employer.

We are currently instituting a program where I am loading our older
win98 "white boxes" that are no longer suited for out production floor with
Ubuntu and giving them to our lower level employees with school aged
children.  Ubuntu runs much faster on these 667-1000 MHz/128-256 MB machines
than winxp, and if they can't afford the machines, they certainly can't
afford commercial software.