[Ubuntu PA] Fwd: questions about OSS usage at NTR

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 19:25:25 BST 2008

On 7/21/08, John Back <johnaback at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> With the advent of inexpensive netbooks running various distros of Linux and
> the promise by Mark Shuttleworth of  Ubuntu/Remix Atom processor netbooks on
> the horizon I am having trouble understanding the NTR mission of spending
> hundreds of man hours on resurrecting old hardware to keep Microsoft
> software in front of financially challenged people both young and old.
> Providing inexpensive old Windows computers just encourages software piracy
> since the NTR client base can't afford to got to Staples and buy a copy of
> Office or any good gaming software for that matter.
>
> I would posit that a paradigm shift by NTR from Windows to Ubuntu along with
> training classes for the client base on how to use Ubuntu, Open Office,
> GIMP, etc would create users interesting in using computers for productivity
> and eliminate the need for pirated software. I am not a game player but I
> have to believe there must be FOSS games for young people.
>
> John

Very well said John.  I think we've all coming up with some great
things to say here.  I'm hoping we can take some our best points and
start posting to other mailing lists that are less knowledgeable about
FOSS.  Stan Pokras of NTR has suggested that we take our questions to
Philly's CTCNet mailing list: