[Ubuntu PA] questions about OSS usage at NTR

John C Wilson dadgadjohn at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 21:33:12 BST 2008

Greetings all,
I'm not sure I have anything useful to contribute here, but I'll toss a
couple of tidbits out there anyway.

Unfortunately, people do not seem to have an ethical issue with software
piracy.  Nevertheless, no organization should condone it.

OOO does not save in MS format by default, and most casual users cannot
be bothered with looking through the menu to choose the format they may
need.

Linux/Ubuntu requires careful hardware planning.  I bought a new
wireless device and printer that had native support rather than deal
with some of the rather messy how-to's presented over at
http://ubuntuforums.org
Again, not something the casual user wants to be bothered with.

No wired internet in Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.  I have gone step-by-step
though every how-to I can find including a rather involved one detailed
in the attachment, wiredintfix_unsucessful.  Still no luck.  Judging
from all the questions out there on the Ubuntu forums as well as several
other sites, I am not alone.  Also, this is not just on one computer.
This is 2 clean installs of Ubuntu 8.04 LTS  on a Dell Dimension 4700
and a Dell Inspiron 2200 which had wired connectivity with 6.06 LTS.
Also a clean install of Xubuntu 8.04 on a 1999 Dell Inspiron 3500.

-John C Wilson
http://dadgadjohn.blogspot.com/