[Ubuntu PA] questions about OSS usage at NTR

Bret Fledderjohn freelancer317 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 18:23:51 BST 2008

Kevin,

Thanks for sharing this.  Let's talk about it!

1.  It does make it pretty clear what challenges Ubuntu and Linux face.  A
lot of the problem is image.   After all, why on earth would anyone need to
rush right out and get a pirated copy of M$ Office when there is OpenOffice
and other alternatives available for free and already installed, legally?
With the exception of games, there are open source packages in the
repositories that can do almost anything that people could need.  The
consumer doesn't know about the alternatives, and they won't research the
options.  You and I will, but the general public doesn't have the gumption
to look for alternatives unless it is already installed AND right in front
of their face.  Perhaps a "Tour of the computer" package that kicks up when
first started (like Windows does), to show the people what OpenOffice is and
where to find it, how to play music, how to access the web, how to setup
mail, etc.  Is there anything out in the community like this?

2.  Peer support is somewhat of an issue.  Ubuntu's internet based community
support is pretty darn good, however, it does nothing if people can't access
the internet for help.  Is there a way to make support even more
accessible?

3.  I think that you're right, Kevin.

4.  Hardware issues, while getting better all the time, are a monkey on our
back as well.  The big problem with the WinModems, are without knowing which
models (and with donations they will always be training) there will frequent
problems with the installations.  Also, if these folks are connecting
through dial-up we have to think about the software package downloads and
update issues (synaptic and long download times) that may be a concern.

- Bret