[Ubuntu PA] Disk Imaging Solutions

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:01:40 GMT 2008

I'm about to setup a small imaging server for pushing "golden" DSL
images onto our NTR laptops' harddrives.  I plan to image-to-drive and
then networked imaging.  There's one potential issue that I never
really got resolved in all my past imaging experiences.  The
majority of
Windows imaging seems fairly straight forward: they usually only have
one partition.  On our linux laptops, we'll have 3 partitions: swap
(hda1), dsl image (hda2), and user space (hda3).

Since I don't plan to do Raw Mode imaging, we will only have images of the
actual bytes used.  To me this means there is an extra step(s) in here for
Linux imaging: creating the partitions and getting grub into the MBR.  I was
thinking I could just copy the MBR from the golden drive and then write it
to the target drives as described here:
http://www.partimage.org/Partimage-manual_Backup-partition-table

But does that work with drives of different geometries?  I'm doubting it
does so I'm looking into automating the file system partitioning/formatting
with script.  I believe this must be done before copying the images.
 Perhaps partimage already has some tools for this.  I did notice an option
to restore the MBR in their curses menu.

Am I way off on this?  Got any advice?

-kevin