[Ubuntu PA] Disk Imaging Solutions

silvertip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 01:51:33 GMT 2008

I've also read up (briefly) on G4L (Ghost 4 Linux) - I believe it also
supports disk to disk w/o use of a network - I actually think Clonezilla has
the same functionality by the way.
^^^ well I'm wrong, this is another network based imaging solution

The actual server instance that uses the network is DRBL w/ the Clonezilla
plugin (if we can call it that).  Almost all of them use some instance of
PartImage, so I've read.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
I believe you're on the right track choosing PartImage instead of DD - bit
by bit might be rather irritating!!!  Not to mention tedious and time
consuming.

Mike

PS:  My opinion (after having to do many stupid disk to disk copies) is that
there is only one way to do a PC clone - via a network.  :P  Good luck;
after that summer I hated jumpers, IDE cables, and screws.

On Jan 21, 2008 9:45 AM, Kevin Valentine <kevin.valentine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Brian and I are looking for disk imaging solutions to use at NTR.
> Lately, there's been a lot of talk about Clonezilla.  I like it but
> we're finding that NTR may not be reading for imaging over the network
> yet.  Presently, they plan to do more image to disk or disk-to-disk
> imaging.  I think they'll eventually use network imaging once we win
> their trust ;-).
>
> So I've switched gears a bit and decided to look for an imaging app that
> had a nice GUI for the underlying app that does all the real work,
> partimage.  Haven't found much ...  but I did discover FOG on sourceforge:
> http://freeghost.no-ip.org/
>
> It's a fairly new app and looks like it has many of the same features of
> Clonezilla, but with a sweet looking web gui.  Any of you ever use this
> or hear about it?
>
> -kevin

//  SilverTip257  //
  ~