[Ubuntu PA] NTR Laptop Project: need volunteers

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 04:32:03 GMT 2008

Today was awesome!

Thanks to everyone that showed up.  I didn't get a head count but it
looked like somewhere around 10 people.  Here's a quick summary of how
things happened:
  * we showed everyone the laptop room
  * Jim and I then took everyone to the classroom and demo'd some
laptops with DSL installed on the hard drives and compact flash
  * went back to laptop room, reorganized all laptops that were on the
shelves.  all PIIs and lower (100-300MHz) were ours for the project.
i'm not sure how many PCs that was, 50 - 100?
  * Stan Pokras explained to me and Brian Stempin how NTR does its disk
imaging.  we have plans to make it better.
  * pizza appeared and we ate it upstairs in the conference room.
  * in the laptop room we started handing out laptops from a batch of
old IBM ThinkPads.  guess what, not many power supplies.  need to find more.
  * Jim and I spoke to a guy that writes articles for the Philadelphia
City Paper.  He's very interested in what we and The Hacktory are
doing.  Wants to write something.  May talk with him tomorrow at Make:Philly

Pics were taken with my camera phone.  They didn't come out well, must
of had pizza grease on the lens.  I'll bring a real camera next time.  I
sent them to pennsylbuntu AT gmail DOT com so they should be in the LoCo
gallery soon.  If anyone else has pics feel free to send them there.

The sorting process has begun.  Now we need a way to start tracking
them.  Molly Crowley has some ideas for this.

-kevin