[Ubuntu PA] Clonezilla Multicast Imaging

silvertip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 03:18:40 GMT 2008

Thanks Brian!!!

That worked like a champ!
I just turned off STP for the whole switch and voila - Clonezilla harmony.

BTW, the situations you described were exactly what we had happening (I
asked the prof).

Thanks again,
Mike

Commands for anyone wondering or wanting how this is done.

*All ports/whole switch *
enable
configure terminal
no spanning-tree vlan 1
end
show spanning-tree

*Single port(s)*
enable
configure terminal
int fa 4
no spanning-tree vlan 1
end
show spanning-tree

On Jan 13, 2008 5:29 PM, Brian Stempin <brian.stempin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I had a lot of trouble when I was doing RIS over any of the Cisco
> Catalyst switches.  I don't know if you already have an answer as to
> what is causing the problem, but for me it was STP (Spanning Tree
> Protocol).  What was happening was that once a machine was powered on,
> the STP would render the port useless until it could confirm that
> there weren't multiple routes to the host.  In most cases, this
> process took slightly longer than the PXE DHCP request timeout.
> Simply disabling STP should solve the problem.
>
> HTH,
>
> Brian
>
> On Jan 13, 2008 5:13 PM, silvertip257 < silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I really wish I wasn't so far from where you're doing all this (I assume
> > Philly).
> > I have limited free time, but we do use Clonezilla in the lab at school.
>
> > It's such a shame Clonezilla doesn't work well with the autosense
> feature in
> > Cisco Catalyst 2950 switches...
> >
> > I know very little about Clonezilla at this time b/c of the loads of
> trouble
> > we had with Clonezilla and the 2950s.  We are running it through a hub
> b/c
> > of that!!!  yikes I know.  I'll try and hang around lab a little extra
> and
> > learn what I can about their Clonezilla server and better how to use it.
>

> > Maybe if I get my network set up right and get a 16 or 24 port 10/100
> switch
> > I'll be of some use to your imaging project.  I'm all for the Clonezilla
> and
> > antique hacking!  If I'm able to setup a nice multicasting server &
> > environment ( i.e. large port count switch), then it would be worth your
> and
> > my while to have me assist in the cloning process.  If that's the case,
> > maybe I can get some of my classmates/buddies involved.
> >
> > I'm also looking for a decent (low powered machine) for my own personal
> > digital picture frame.  I wasn't able to get the bash login scripts (I
> > talked about months ago) to work so I have nothing to show for that
> attempt.
> > I began using Debian Etch ( 4.0) for it.
> >
> > Later,
> > Mike
> >

> > On Jan 13, 2008 4:08 PM, Kevin Valentine <kevin.valentine at gmail.com >
> wrote:

> imaging
> you
> > could

> 90%
> cloning
> > > Cool.  I just rechecked out the website.  The Clonezilla CD I have is
> > > v1.0.3-18.  Looks like they're up to 1.0.7-18.  So at least we know
> > > they're quite active.  I think what really attracts me to this is the
> > > PXE boot option.  If NTR had a PXE boot that dumped them to a
> grub-like
> [...]

//  SilverTip257  //
  ~
 · ·