[Ubuntu PA] NTR Laptop Project: need volunteers

silvertip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 04:50:41 GMT 2008

You are tempting me ... I've already got myself neck-deep in other projects
and school.
I absolutely love the speed at which DSL boots up and I love the
feature-packed PuppyLinux.
I rather doubt there will be a shortage of salvaged laptops + desktops
anytime soon, so I'll be in luck for something over break, etc.

For speed choose DSL (4.2 is looking interesting).
For features + speed (although -slightly- slower boot time than DSL) choose
Puppy.  The difference is the image size - 50MB DSL vs. <100MB Puppy.

I would recommend using Puppy 3.xx b/c it's compatible with Slackware
12.0and it most likely will have more pre-built (and recent) packages
than DSL.
But by all means choose what works and/or your preference.

-- When my hard drive ' died ' a week ago, I used DSL for 3 days straight
(no reboots) as a test on DSL and my loyalty :).  What I discovered was
there are some ' limitations ' in the package area that I disliked for DSL,
but obviously if I knew more about building packages I could cure that
problem!

Mike

On Jan 13, 2008 11:29 PM, Kevin Valentine <kevin.valentine at gmail.com> wrote:

> John A Back wrote:
> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> > I am happy to help and your Saturday plan sounds fine. Will we be
> > working at NTR on Bradywine Street in Philly?
> >
> > Being a relatively new convert to Linux and open source I will need a
> > little assistance in getting started but my experience goes back to 70's
> > and the Radio Shack Trash80 along with the Apple II so I'll be an
> > independent worker in short order.
> >
> > Are you thinking of next Saturday the 19th?
> >
> > Looking forward to helping,
> > John
>
> Thanks John, glad you can help.  Yes, the tentative plan is to meet at
> NTR on the 19th.  I got a reply from Stan saying that between 12 and 2pm
> would be good for him.  Another guy we really want to talk to is Ayende
> but he's in a board meeting with Stan until noon.  I'll show you around
> and you may get a demo of a salvaged laptop.
>
> Hah, I had a Trash80 when I was a kid.  Fun stuff!  We'll be using DSL
> and Puppy with these laptops.  In the mean time, take a look at the DSL
> and Puppy sites for more info:
> http://damnsmalllinux.org/
> http://puppylinux.org/
>
> -kevin