[Ubuntu PA] Linux Laptop Project has a PC for imaging

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 20:20:03 GMT 2008

OK, I finally was able to dedicate a PC to our laptop refurbishing
cause.  It's not pretty but it works quite well for the task of imaging
DSL to drives.  It doesn't have a network card or a CD drive but it also
should need them.  Zoe's daycare center was closed today so she stayed
with me as I pieced this together.  Here's a pic of her helping.  I
think she's providing a vertical compression stress test:
http://i30.tinypic.com/10zcz69.jpg

Later, I thought it would be nice to bolt on a chrome shed handled to
the top of the case.  It's possible we'll be tossing this box all around
the room.  Here's a pic of it with the handle and powered on with the
new grub splash image.
http://i30.tinypic.com/35jf5s2.jpg

Oh yeah, if you didn't get it from the stickers, this box is running the
command line only version of Ubuntu.  The python script doesn't have a
GUI so it doesn't matter yet.  When it gets a GUI later, I'll install a
lightweight WM or just go with a kiosk style approach and only run the
GUI in X.

Presently, this setup only has one USB to IDE adapter.  Later, I will
add at least four more since the USB 2.0 host controller supports up to
5.  It's not completely necessary at this point but eventually Jim and I
want to have multiple drives being imaged simultaneously.  That's mostly
to show the people at NTR that it can be done.  I think power
consumption may end up being our only limitation.  Each 2.5" drives
takes 500 to 750 mA.  Each USB connection maxes out at 500mA.  May need
to modify a booster cable.

I posted the source code to the script a few days ago.  I plan to try
out the 'bazaar' software repository on launchpad in a few days so that
others can contribute too.  Thanks for that suggestion Alex.  I totally
forgot bazaar existed.  I also plan to post my code that automates CD
burning on the Sony XL1B for LoCo install-fests.

See you tomorrow at noon.

-kevin