[Ubuntu PA] NTR Laptop Project: meet at laptop room on Feb 23rd, noon

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 16:20:06 GMT 2008

I just updated the project wiki to include more details on our laptop
Workshop Times:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PennsylvaniaTeam/CommunityOutreachTeam/NtrLaptopProject

 * Jim Fisher and Kevin Valentine will be at NTR every 3rd Monday from
10am - 12pm
 * Norman will be in the Laptop Room from 2 pm to closing, every weekday
 * We will meet as a group every 4th Saturday of the month

Besides more times to work on the laptops, we may have a new, faster way
of installing DSL onto the laptops.  A few days ago, I finished writing
a python script that installs DSL onto a hard drive in about 30
seconds.  It automates all the steps for an installation: formats the
drive into three partitions, copies a specific DSL version from a user
selected ISO (thank Brian Stempin for that idea), copies our custom
setting and applications, installs grub to the MBR and uses our custom
NTR splashimage.  The main reason for doing an install this way is that
many of the laptops don't have CD drives.  Some of the ones that do have
them, can't even boot from the CDs (hello old Toshibas with the dongle
CD drives).  Another reason, is that it's very fast and we may be able
to do them in batches (only sequentially, not sure about parallel yet).

Jim and I will be at NTR on the 18th from 10am - 12pm.  This will be the
first time we test out the Python script on a large batch of 2.5"
drives.  The Dells will be the first to use them.  If all goes well, we
may have a nice simple process for you to play with on Saturday the
23rd.  Hope to see many of you there!

-kevin