[Ubuntu PA] Compiz, Kubuntu Hardy and Desktops

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Fri Apr 25 21:22:40 BST 2008

I don't know if this is a bug or if I am doing it wrong.  I can't find
anything on this except a bug from Ubuntu Gutsy that claims the issue is
resolved.

I have 4 v-desktops with kwin.  I switch to compiz using the compiz icon.  My
desktop pager continues with 2x2 rows of desktops, but they narrow. 3 & 4 no
longer do anything.  Compiz Manager reports one desktop, though there are 2.
It will not let me change this with the slider.or the spinner buttons.  If I
type 4, nothing happens and the setting doesn't stick.

If I used the kcontrol desktop panel to change the number of desktops, I can
make the change and apply, but nothing happens and when I launch kcontrol
again, the settings have reverted to 1.

Is this a bug I'm not finding, or am I approaching this wrong?