[Ubuntu PA] NTR Laptop Project: meet at laptop room on April 26th, noon

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 22:33:45 BST 2008

I met with Jim and Ben Agre at NTR today to test some of the laptops.
It's good we tested them.  Some had strange issues.  Here's our progress:
  * 11 were tested
  * 11 still need testing
  * 12 are still waiting for DSL to be installed

I'm looking into getting pcmcia ethernet adapters to sell with these.
It turns out NTR has tons of the adapters, just not enough dongles.

There are some other issues with the laptops using very old, integrated
sound cards.  They most likely use the ISA bus and need to be probed as
a PnP device.  Jim suggested we install one the DSL's ALSA extensions on
Saturday.  I'm all for it as long as we don't lose much time on it.  We
also need to get these laptop's info entered into NTR's database - not fun.

At this point we have to start suggesting price options to NTR.  The
prices are starting out at $50 for a 133 MHz laptop with 32 MB of RAM
and a 6GB hard drive.  That could drop if it's missing certain things,
like a CD drive.  We'll bump it up $10 for every additional ~100MHz in
processor speed.  Tack on another $5 for every 64 MB increase in RAM.
It's rough but we're getting there.  We may need to do a little research
for how much they go for on eBay with no OS.

See you Saturday.

-kevin