[Ubuntu PA] NTR Laptop Project: meet at laptop room on Mar 29th, noon

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 03:06:44 BST 2008

Had to drop my wife off in Philly today because she missed the train.
Since I was in the area, I stopped off at NTR and hammered out 3 more
laptops in a couple of hours.  So make that 21 that are ready for
testing.  We're running out of space and I need to get another cubby for
the finished laptops :-D

I'm going to update the wiki to define what "testing" really is.  Here
are some ideas:
 * does it have it's own power supply and is the voltage matched?
 * does the hard drive have its appropriate caddy?
 * when you first power on, does the grub splash image display properly?
 * when you boot to the desktop, is the resolution set correctly?
 * can the laptop be booted successfully times?
 * does the USB port function?  test with a mouse or thumb drive
 * does audio work?  test by playing an mp3 through xmms
 * can it connect to a LAN?  test with a pcmcia NIC
 * if there's a CD ROM drive, verify that it works.
 * abiword and gnumeric have been added as mydsl applications.  for some
of the slower/older (133MHz) laptops, mounting these apps adds too much
time to the boot duration.  determine if they should be moved from the
"mydsl" folder to the "mydsl/optional" folder to increase boot speed.
 * if you see "standby" or "sleep" hotkeys, verify that advanced power
management (APM) works.  you may have to set "acpi=off apm=on" at the
grub boot prompt

Can anyone think of anymore?  Let me know and I'll add it to the list.

-kevin