[Ubuntu PA] What next?

silvertip257 silvertip257 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 21:52:26 BST 2007

Wireless can be a pain in Feisty - dunno bout Gutsy yet.  Only a little
longer and I can get Gutsy stable - yah know b/c I dont have enough guts to
install unstable/testing at this time. ; )

I had to un-blacklist my driver, add it to my modules area for startup, and
then figure out that I needed to add an 'x' to the end of the SSID.  No wifi
encryption has been tried on my card though.
Not so great of an ordeal, but I'd like to do a little write up for my card,
etc for on our Loco site or maybe the Ubuntu wifi site or both?  You can
tell me which I should do.

There's my two cents.

Mike

On 9/26/07, Kevin Valentine <kevin.valentine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some more items to discuss.  Ok, maybe these are just outstanding issues
> that I haven't seen clean solutions for yet.  Not MY issues but stuff
> I've seen when from helping people with Ubuntu installs.  I would love
> to see discussions on these:
>
> *** Wireless ***
> How NetworkManager really works with other apps like wpa_supplicant.
> Why it works for many cards but some have unusual quirks.  For example,
> try getting an Atheros 5212 chipset working with a WAP that doesn't
> broadcast its SSID (not that hiding your ssid is all that secure).
> Can't use nm, gotta go with straight wpa_supplicant and some funky
> config params.  This can be a big problem for the LoCo now that laptop
> installations have become very common.  Add to that, the reason(s)
> behind most wireless NICs needing firmware when the kernel module
> loads.  I've heard it's strictly due to the FCC wanting to prevent hacks
> to increase the transmit power, but perhaps there's more to the story.
> How you can modify nm's behavior by using gconf-editor at
> /system/networking/wireless/networks.  I know nothing about the wireless
> tools used in Kubu and Xubu.  It'd be interesting to see the differences.
>
> *** Power Management ***
> Still a problem area.  What scripts in /etc/acpi are run when you
> attempt to suspend to ram or hibernate to disk?  Why does it work on
> some PCs (laptops AND desktops) but not others.  Is there a way to force
> it work on older or unsupported systems with a DSDT update and a kernel
> recompile?  Any experts on DSDTs here?
>
> *** Enabling DMA on DVD Players (libata issue) ***
> I'm not even sure how to describe this (google "libata dma").  I've seen
> odd behavior with some DVD players now that they are being seen as scsi
> devices (scd0 vs. hdc).  With some DVD players, you would get slow,
> choppy playback.  Usually it was because DMA was off.   You simply
> turned on DMA with something like this "hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc".  Since
> hdparm only works for IDE drives, that option doesn't apply anymore now
> that all drives are seen as scsi.  There was a guy on irc having this
> problem at last Wed's PA LoCo meeting.  I looked around and found there
> is some kind of  a fix by passing kernel boot parameters,
> libata.atapi_enable=1 and combined_mode=libata (or ide).  I believe the
> purpose of this it get your DVD player to be revert back to being seen
> as an IDE drive again (/dev/hdc) so you can use hdparm.  Again, this
> seems to only effect some DVD drives.  Perhaps someone could just talk
> about what libata is and why the switch was made.
>
> As a LoCo member doing installs on a wide variety of older hardware, I
> would like more information on these topics.
>

> -kevin
>

> Matt Mossholder wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > So, now that the first pass on MythTV is complete, I am wondering what
> > other topics people would like to see covered.  Does anyone have any
> [...]

//  Silvertip257  //
Xubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
--- Linux for human beings.
(http://www.xubuntu.org/)