[Ubuntu PA] Fwd: [Ubuntu-US] US Teams Mentoring Project IRC Metting

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 12 18:22:09 BST 2007

I won't be able to attend (the 29th is my birthday and I'll be out!),
but I want to encourage one or more of us to speak up about this.

First off, the official word from Canonical is that they actively
discourage use of non-trivial amounts money money LoCo teams. If money
becomes a significant issue it's time to re-evaluate your groups goals
and work to get back to the volunteer grassroots.

Our team abides by these conditions.

In fact, most of the events we're taking part in (such as the work
with MALT and NTR) are done entirely without money, and many of our
other events are done in collaboration with existing groups in the
area. This team is a glorious example of the way LoCo teams can be
productive, spread Ubuntu and helpful to their communities through
volunteer work that doesn't require the team to file for some sort of
non-profit status (which is a very intensive process with mountains of
paperwork, IRS entanglements and far too many expenses).

So it'd be nice if someone from the team was there to represent us and
possibly inspire other groups, show it's very possible to run a LoCo
team on a very slim budget (pretty much just the cost of CDRs and
printing fliers - both of which the US Team are looking for solutions
to).

Cheers,

- Lyz/pleia2, who is a Mentor in the US Teams Mentoring project and
has been in the thick of this whole stressful debate over money and
liability :(

Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com