[Ubuntu PA] compatability

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 02:36:51 BST 2007

Jason Bustani wrote:
> will ubuntu work on this notebook?
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101073
Hi Jason,

Nice laptop for the price!  I searched around but all I found was some
stuff on linux-on-laptops.com for a Gateway MT6451 using Slam64
(slackware distro).  Here's the link:

If it's anything similar to the MT6458, the main things I would be
concerned with are audio, video, and wireless.  I had trouble getting
specs on the wireless.  Based on the MT6451 above, it could be a flavor
of the broadcom.  Maybe a bcm4311.  Those are usually packed with setup

For video support, it looks like the ATI proprietary driver gives you
full accelerated and 3d support.  The open source driver only supports
2d.  Here are some links on that: