[Ubuntu PA] [Project] Girls Inc date shifted to June 9th

Kevin Valentine kevin.valentine at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 06:06:32 BST 2007

Alex Launi wrote:
> Kevin Valentine wrote:
> >> Thanks for the feedback Lyz.
> >>
> >> I'll get more info on the following:
> >>  * age ranges of the girls
> >>  * PC specs (greg didn't have them when I talked with him yesterday)
> >>  * possibility of installing ubu at install-fest
> >>  * are there newspaper contacts
> > I just got more info...
> > Good news!  About 5 girls are supposed to show up.
> > Age ranges of the girls: 12 to 15 years old.
> > This should help us decide what software to install.
>
> Are they coming to the install fest or the june 9th thing? What exactly
> are we doing on June 9th, just writing a pre-fabricated image to each
> harddisk from a preconfigured system?
They are only coming to the June 9th event at Girls Inc.  So far, the
plan is to go there with a disk image of the dual boot drive sitting in
a server PC.  One of the PCs should already be configured properly.  We
can use that one to demo Windows and Ubuntu.  While that's going on, the
other PCs are receiving their new disk image simultaneously over the
network.

The ideal situation would be to have this already done before the girls
get there.  We could sit each of them at a PC and explain how they're
setup.  However, that would require that one or more of us go there some
time during the week and set them up.  I might be able to pull that
off.  Do you think that's a better path to go?

> > Attached is a PDF I got from Terri that contains a lot of detailed info
> > on the PC hardware.  To summarize:
> >   * 1.7GHz P4
> >   * 256MB RAM
> >   * 20GB HD
> >   * NVidia Vanta display adapter (can this support compiz / beryl?)
>
> I'm pretty sure the vanta chipset is no longer supported by the legacy
> driver package, so I would be surprised if it would. We can give it a
> shot and see if the restricted drivers manager picks it up, I'm putting
> my money on no probably not and with only 256 of ram I don't know if we
> want to bog them down that heavily. Beryl/compiz don't take a whole lot,
> but they need some breathing room.
I agree.  We should be careful with beryl/compiz.  I'd feel bad if we
gave them a setup that looked cool but would freeze up on them all the time.

> > Windows 2K is installed with an NTFS partition.  Looks like we can split
> > the drive down the middle and use straight Ubuntu for the other half.
> > The memory is a bit low.  Perhaps we can scrape together an extra 256MB
> > for each PC.  We'll see what type of mem it uses on Saturday.
>
> Memory should be fine for a alternate install cd, it should run fine,
> but we'll need to give them a decent swap partition size. 512 should do
> it. How much data is on the ntfs partition? We may be better off giving
> like a 5gb / and a 5gb /shared (fat32) so that they can share files
> between windoze and Ubuntu.
Good idea.  We may also want to give them a /home so there's never a
risk of maxing out / with their personal files.  I guess we could use
disk quota rules but I've never done that before, not sure what's
involved.  I do the shared fat32 on my own system and it works great.
That's one of those things we would have to explain with great clarity.