[Ubuntu PA] Looking for training resources & suggestions

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Tue Dec 11 20:10:07 GMT 2007

On Monday 10 December 2007 14:56:27 Jim Fisher wrote:
> If you give us some numbers, like how many are
> involved, and when you anticipate the 'classes' to
> start we may be better able to assist.

At this point, I don't have the details.  I have submitted a proposal to
our "miniversity".  In the next couple of months, a list of courses will be
chosen and published.  Basically attendees can sign up until the class is
full.  The lab/classroom hold 8 students at a time.  Multiple classes based
on enrollment.

> Keep in mind, in April the next Long Term Support
> version is released.  In the work environment, this
> may be a more suitable version to utilize.  At that
> time, you may want to also consider some ltsp via
> edubuntu.  (Even though edubuntu is geared towards
> children, the ltsp framework can be used in an adult
> environment).

That may be the better distro to implement, but I think the training can take
place on gutsy.  IIRC, Dapper was a standard upgrade from Hoary.  Is the new
LTS also going to be a standard upgrade from Gutsy?

> The gutsy live cd's are available, if you give us an
> idea of how many, to start the process.  Some stickers
> and case badges may be available also.

I don't want to put anyone to the trouble of making dupes, but if there are
professionally labeled ones that "look official", that would be nice, that is,
it would be a way to make the uninformed less skeptical.

> We generally show an install.  So they have the
> opportunity to see it before they would attempt it
> themselves.  Alternate install cd's work better for
> this.
>
> After that, we usually let them explore the desktop
> freely to get a feel for it.  It is very intuitive.
> Show synaptic, and all the packages that are
> available.
> Show them how to customize Login screen, themes, etc.
> Allow them independently to pick a common task in
> their other os and assist them, if necessary, in
> performing the same task in Ubuntu.
>
> Of course, on their home systems, they should boot
> live to see how well the os natively reacts to their
> particular situation.
>
> For more info on our 'class' style situations see:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PennsylvaniaTeam/CommunityOutreachTeam/NtrTraining
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PennsylvaniaTeam/CommunityOutreachTeam/LTSPMALT
>
> Have a blast.

This stuff is very helpful.

Currently our computer lab consists of one server and 8 nComputing terminals.
I'd like to try the LTSP route if it works on this setup.