[Ubuntu PA] Allentown Computer fair!

Alex Launi alex.launi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 16:27:02 GMT 2007

[Repost from forum: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=630290]

December 29-30th there is a computer show at the Allentown fairgrounds. I'm
suggesting we go give out CDs and chat with people about Ubuntu and free
software. This is a good opportunity for us. A convention full of computer
people. I think it's a safe assumption to say there will be some Linux
people there but the majority will be Windows, maybe we can get people
talking about Ubuntu Linux and make an impact. I'm willing to spearhead this
if you guys want me to, this is your home turf though so I would like some
help. There are plenty of you guys around, we just some organization. Let's
get on it! I'm driving up from Philly, so just because you don't live in
Allentown doesn't mean you can't participate.

Initially I was thinking we should get a booth, but the more I think about
it, I think just walking around striking up conversations with people is the
way to go. Does anyone disagree with this and think a booth would be better?
I see the advantage of the booth, but mingling seems more effective. Maybe
we can find a corner to stand and put up our banner where 1 or 2 people will
stand and the rest kind of walk around and hand out cds and chat. Marketpro
(the people who host the show) do not give a straight answer to how much a
table costs. I'm going to call later today to talk to them, maybe they're
Linux enthusiasts and will give us a free table! Yeah, fat chance. So guys,
what's the interest on this, do you NEPA people want to take action and grow
your community? I'm more than happy to help out, but I need to know the
locals are behind it.

--Alex