[Ubuntu PA] Cheap cards for 3D desktop

Alex Gretlein gretlein at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 22:41:23 BST 2007

I've been working on an application similar to this. The idea is that
it lets users insert information about components that "just work" off
the shelf - with little or minimum configuration. My initial idea was
for USB peripherals - ink jet printers, web cams, and the like. Video
cards could be accommodated with some modification.

The premise is that the lists on the Ubuntu wiki are a mess,
information of varying worth is scattered around the forums and
elsewhere in random locations, and the databases like linuxprinting
and linux-usb are great for problem solving but awful for shopping. By
eliminating the constraints of Wiki syntax and the desire to document
everything which works or doesn't, I'm hoping to be able to produce
something that one could just look at an then easily order cheap
components known to work, and not require you to futz around with
Grandma's xorg.conf before you leave after Thanksgiving.

If it works, I would definitely take it upon myself to move the
information "upstream," which in my mind means the Community Docs,
right now, but I suppose that there could be other useful places to
put it.

Alex Gretlein