[Ubuntu PA] Cheap cards for 3D desktop

Jim Fisher pechterbread at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 19:07:45 BST 2007

- --- Kevin Valentine <kevin.valentine at gmail.com>

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/1.0-9755/README/appendix-a.html

> So far it seems to me that the debian packages for
> nvidia-glx* match up
> this way:
> 1.0-9755 --> nvidia-glx-new
> 1.0-96xx --> nvidia-glx
> 1.0-71xx --> nvidia-glx-legacy
>
> Fortunately, Ubuntu 7.04 removes this kind of
> decision making for you by
> use of the Restricted Drivers Manager gui.  But
> that's only good for a
> card that you have you have in your PC and is
> supported.  The support
> list you suggested would be perfect for those
> shopping around or those
> of us out promoting.  Perhaps this already exists
> somewhere?  It would
> be nice to see something like this for a header in
> the table:
> Manufacturer, Model, GPU, Device PCI ID, Resolutions
> Tested (1600x1200,
> 1280x800, etc.), 3D Support, Beryl, Compiz
>
> Perfect for a page on our wiki.

I think it would be great to start an information page
on our wiki, based on our experiences, but once we get
real data it should be fed upstream so that users
everywhere will have access to the information.

Where upstream can be determined once we have data to
send.

Just my 3 cents.

jim fisher
]edijf