[Ubuntu PA] Cheap cards for 3D desktop

Elizabeth Bevilacqua lyz at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 6 11:51:31 BST 2007

On 8/5/07, Kevin Valentine <kevin.valentine at gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I've read, Nvidia has very good support in the form of closed
> source binaries.

There have been complaints about the support, but primarily this comes
from people who were loyal to ATI on the Windows side or hate closed
source binaries in general :) I've always had good luck with NVidia
though, I haven't bought anything else since I started using Linux. SO
I think NVidia is the way we want to push people right now.

>  I put that to the test with this cheap card I bought
> at Micro Center:
>
> Price: $17.99
> Manufacturer: Mad Dog Multimedia
> Part No: MD-NV400BM
> Graphics Processor: nVidia GeForce2 MX400 graphics processor
> Minimum RAM Required: 64MB
> AGP Interface Type: AGP 2.0 Compliant (4x/2x) Interface
> Link:
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0218582

This is similar to what I used to have, but my processor was GeForce3
(and based on the specs, probably comparable).

I recently bought this for $30 to replace my old card:

 MSI FX5200-TD128LF GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Low
Profile Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127181

> That's not so bad for 18 clams!  It works great too.

What did you test it on? Using Beryl in Gnome? What resolution? I even
find that my card above sometimes has a little weirdness on the screen
with beryl+xubuntu @ 1600x1200 when I launch new windows with effects
turned on and do too much wobbly stuff. I would go with a more
expensive card if I were to do it again, since quite honestly I abuse
my graphics card with these crazy resolutions :)

> Normally, I wouldn't be such a big
> fan of 3d desktop but I'm finding it's very valuable for Ubuntu demos.

Yep.

> After the demo, people want to know if their video card will work beryl
> or compiz.  If it doesn't, at least now I know where to send them and
> what card they can get :-)

We should probably prepare a list of good cards, with a disclaimer
explaining how well they will work. I think you probably have to plop
down at least $60 for something that'll work great at high
resolutions. I'll run my card through some tests to see what
resolution works the best.

--
Elizabeth Bevilacqua
http://www.princessleia.com