[Ubuntu Oregon] Ubuntu-us-or Digest, Vol 151, Issue 2

James Bradley jim at oregoncanoesport.com
Wed Sep 10 17:19:10 UTC 2014

On the issue of hosting an independent Ubuntu Oregon website, you might
want to consider Automattic's free WordPress hosting. In case you aren't
familiar with that service, let me elaborate.

Automattic is a primary vendor of WordPress-based hosting and products.
They offer free hosting under a wordpress.com URL. WordPress offers a
number of advantages, along with some limitations.

On the plus side, with WordPress site maintenance is greatly simplified.
In the case of Automattic's offering, they take care of updating all the
software. WordPress itself is extremely easy to implement and manage.
Designed to facilitate blogging, it also supports more presentational
formats. It allows for granular permissions to accommodate multiple
authors and administrators. The ability to control comments and limit
spam is well designed. A wide variety of themes are offered and many
incorporate responsive design characteristics, allowing for hassle-free
support of multiple device parameters.

On the downside, WP is bloated and not particularly efficient. It is
written in PHP and some customizations require at least a superficial
knowledge of that rather arcane and inefficient language. Additionally,
properly implementing customizations requires some knowledge of WP's
internal functioning. In some cases, it is difficult to prevent
customizations from being overwritten by updates. For the most part,
these considerations only affect the primary administrator of the site.

So, there it is, for your consideration.

JVLB