[Ubuntu Oregon] Ubuntu membership

Patrick Olson compman42 at linuxusers.us
Thu Nov 27 02:42:31 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:20:13 -0800, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> Have you gotten access to your router/modem's admin panel? Have you
> tried port forwarding? Alternately, run a port scan and see what's
> open. If there's something you can live without using (NTP?), have SSH
> listen on that port.

Yes, I own the router. On a good day, I can even remember the password. :)
However, I think the outside traffic isn't even getting to it. The router
shows:

Connection Type:	Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Internet IP Address:	50.50.50.133
Subnet Mask:	255.255.255.0
Default Gateway:	50.50.50.1
DNS1:	50.50.50.1

However, if I go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ it shows a completely
different IP address (67.148.255.242).

The result trying to SSH into 50.50.50.133 or 67.148.255.242 from an
outside system is the same whether I have port forwarding enabled on my
router or not: it just sits there with no response. No error message, no
login prompt. I assume my ISP has their firewall set to drop incoming
packets without even sending a reject.

I had ShieldsUP (at grc.com) run a port scan and it didn't find anything
open.