[Ubuntu Oregon] ubuntu-us-or added by skellat

Patrick Olson compman42 at linuxusers.us
Thu Nov 27 02:11:44 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 16:15:47 -0800, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:57 PM, Benjamin Kerensa <bkerensa at ubuntu.com>
> wrote:
>> Any chance you might ask Canonical legal to just get ubuntu-oregon.org
>> back?
>> They have done this in the past for other domains that get squatted.
>
> Well, I could be wrong, but I don't think they would be willing to pay
> for the domain registration or the hosting. I doubt you want to pay
> for it Ben ;)

oregon.ubuntu-us.org includes hosting, right? So if we somehow got
ubuntu-oregon.org, couldn't we just set it to redirect to
oregon.ubuntu-us.org?

> I like the URL as it seems more appropriate. On the other hand, if you
> happen to stumble across, say, washington.ubuntu-us.org, you might
> wonder if there's an oregon.ubuntu-us.org. The consistency of naming
> has a value, I think.
>
> What do you guys think?

I like the idea of having both, but don't know if it's practical. I went
to the website of the company that has our old domain "parked" and put in
the domain name, but their system's response was something like "sorry
it's taken" rather than the "this domain is for sale" that I was expecting.

Thanks,
Patrick