[Ubuntu Oregon] Ubuntu membership

Patrick Olson compman42 at linuxusers.us
Thu Nov 27 00:29:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:41:16 -0800, Walter Lapchynski <wxl at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Patrick Olson <compman42 at linuxusers.us>
> wrote:
>> This sounds like something that should be run on a spare system, not on
>> desktop that I need to keep up and running without fail. Am I
>> understanding
>> correctly?
>
> For the most part, bug triage doesn't require so much that it will
> kill your desktop. If something happens, it's generally repairable.
> Just ask for help.

I'm still thinking separate system, just for the safety margin. Back when
I was running Mint on my other (now dead) desktop, an update made it so it
didn't even boot.

>> I do have a spare system, but it's really old (550MHz, 192MB of RAM, 2GB
>> disk), so not sure if it would even run a current version of Linux.
>
> You MIGHT be able to get away with Lubuntu on it, but I'm thinking
> probably not. I've got a Dell I could give you if you're super serious
> about it.

What about https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD ?

I'm so new to actually contributing to free software, I'm not sure I can
say "super serious" at this point. However, if you would send me the specs
on that Dell, I might be interested if you want to sell it. Or maybe I
should just buy a hard drive for my other desktop if anyone has a spare.
You're welcome to email me directly if this is off topic from the mailing
list. I may be going afk for a bit, but I'm sure to catch up by the end of
the week, if not sooner.

Thanks,
Patrick