Local Jam and Bug Squashing Party: details for the day

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 3 18:37:12 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

As promised, here's a follow-up with some more details for the big day.

When, Where, What
-----------------

The Ubuntu Local Jam and Debian Bug Squashing Party will be held at the
PuppetLabs office in downtown Portland from 10am to 5:30pm on Sunday,
December 4.  Again, the address is:

    411 NW Park Ave
    Suite 500
    Portland, OR 97219

Many thanks to PuppetLabs for hosting us!

To participate fully in the event, please bring your own computer with you.
(laptop/netbook/tablet/wearable computer?)

What are we working on?
-----------------------

When considering possible topics for Ubuntu and Debian to collaborate on
today, one in particular stands out: multiarch.

  http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch

Both Debian and Ubuntu have multiarch support as a goal for the next
release.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of packages that need to be changed
to make that a reality.  *Fortunately*, we have converting these packages
down to an art!

  http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/Implementation

Even if you know nothing about changing packages, you can still help out!
We've prepared a wiki page that tells you everything you need to know about
how to modify a package.

  http://wiki.debian.org/BuildingAPackage

If you haven't worked with source packages before, it's recommended that
you read this page before the Jam on Sunday.  But if you don't get to it,
don't worry - we'd still like to see you!

In addition to this main theme, we have a number of other tasks lined up to
entertain our community members, regardless of background.

 * Ubuntu SRU verifications: Brian Murray will lead us through the process
   of verifying Stable Release Updates for Ubuntu, helping bug fixes from
   the Ubuntu developers make their way to users.

 * Ubuntu bitesized bugs: multiarch too boring?  There are many small bugs
   in Ubuntu that could use your help.
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.tag=bitesize

 * Debian release-critical bugs: of course, multiarch is not the only issue
   for the upcoming Wheezy release.  Let's spend some time looking at those
   release-critical bugs... maybe we can even give the German BSP a run for
   their money this weekend :)
   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/10/msg00003.html

That's all, folks

See you on Sunday!