Local Jam and Bug Squashing Party: details for the day

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sat Dec 3 18:37:12 UTC 2011

Hi folks,

As promised, here's a follow-up with some more details for the big day.

When, Where, What

The Ubuntu Local Jam and Debian Bug Squashing Party will be held at the
PuppetLabs office in downtown Portland from 10am to 5:30pm on Sunday,
December 4.  Again, the address is:

    411 NW Park Ave
    Suite 500
    Portland, OR 97219

Many thanks to PuppetLabs for hosting us!

To participate fully in the event, please bring your own computer with you.
(laptop/netbook/tablet/wearable computer?)

What are we working on?

When considering possible topics for Ubuntu and Debian to collaborate on
today, one in particular stands out: multiarch.

Both Debian and Ubuntu have multiarch support as a goal for the next
release.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of packages that need to be changed
to make that a reality.  *Fortunately*, we have converting these packages
down to an art!

Even if you know nothing about changing packages, you can still help out!
We've prepared a wiki page that tells you everything you need to know about
how to modify a package.

If you haven't worked with source packages before, it's recommended that
you read this page before the Jam on Sunday.  But if you don't get to it,
don't worry - we'd still like to see you!

In addition to this main theme, we have a number of other tasks lined up to
entertain our community members, regardless of background.

 * Ubuntu SRU verifications: Brian Murray will lead us through the process
   of verifying Stable Release Updates for Ubuntu, helping bug fixes from
   the Ubuntu developers make their way to users.

 * Ubuntu bitesized bugs: multiarch too boring?  There are many small bugs
   in Ubuntu that could use your help.

 * Debian release-critical bugs: of course, multiarch is not the only issue
   for the upcoming Wheezy release.  Let's spend some time looking at those
   release-critical bugs... maybe we can even give the German BSP a run for
   their money this weekend :)

That's all, folks

See you on Sunday!