[Ubuntu-us-ok] OklahomaLoCo-WhatsGoingOn-030209

Duane Hinnen duanedesign at cox.net
Tue Mar 3 06:02:55 GMT 2009

Team,

OKLAHOMA LOCO MEETING
This Thursday we are going to have meeting at 7:30 on #ubuntu-us-ok. I
would love to take the opportunity to introduce our new members and get
to know them a little. We have had four new members since Christmas.

      * ShaneLofgren (slofgren-lofgren)
  * Sean Fenton (bobodod)
  * Jeff Smith (jeff-smith-ou)
  * dopecop17 (da17)
  *
If you guys have time we would love to have you. We have a couple of
projects going right now. We have been working on an outline for a
Linux/Ubuntu presentation. We need to make some progress on this so we
can start to spread the word about Ubuntu. Shane had a good idea to
possibly talk to some Vo Tech classes. Also I have been working on a
poster(s) to get the word out about our loco so we can attract some new
members. We need to come up with some volunteers to hang some up in
their community at places you think they will reach possible Ubuntu
users.

The presentation (LinuxPresentationDraft001.odt) and poster(s)
(penGrafLocoFlyerSmall.png) and (UbuntuPoster-Small-Virus.png) can be
found on the Project and Ideas page of our wiki. They are at the bottom
under Project Documents and Tools. (The posters and presentation are
still a work in progress but nonetheless your input is appreciated. I
know one of the posters is more of a Ubuntu flyer than a Loco flyer, I
plan to address that.)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OklahomaTeam/foo/testProjectsIdeas

TULSA MEETUP
Me and Wisd0m have cooked up an in person meet up in the old indian
territory now known as Tulsa. We are going to cross paths at the Cherry
Street Coffee House. We want any and all members who want, to come and
have some bean juice with us.

IDEALIST PODCAST
It caught me off guard to see the LoCos being mentioned on a website
that is not related to Ubuntu or even Linux. This podcast is about
Ubuntu, open source and LoCo's. Featuring interviews with members of the
DC LoCo. It was refreshing to hear an 'outsiders' perspective on open
source software and what is at stake. This definitely reminded me that
there is more to Ubuntu and Open Source than nice software. Open source
software could revolutionize the way people interact with technology.
One Loco member in this podcast compares open source to the written
word. The written word, repositories of power, where once only produced
by the rich and powerful. Information lived and died by their decisions.
The printing press brought about complete revolution.  Suddenly,
scientists working in different locations could popularize their
findings with their peers, opening the doors to the scientific
revolution. No longer would each scientist have to reinvent the wheel,
but instead could build on the research of his peers and predecessors.

http://idealist.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=329581#

UBUNTU NEWSLETTER
Check out the new Ubuntu newsletter.
Jaunty Alpha 5 Released
  * Needed: Countdown to Jaunty Banners
  * Ubuntu Global Bug Jam Success
  * Voting for New MOTU Council seats
  * Ubuntu Server: Call for testing
  * Next Ubuntu Hug Day
  * Developer News: Issue #2
  * Ubuntu Stats
  * LoCo Team Meeting
  * Philadelphia Bug Jam
  * Chicago Bug Jam
  * Arizona team has new website
  * Launchpad Performance Week Roundup
  * Launchpad 2.2.2 released
  * Meet the Devs
  * In the Press & Blogosphere
  * Ubuntu podcast #20
  * Full Circle Magazine #22 (link below)
  * UK government backs open source
  * Random Ubuntu Sightings
  * February Team Meeting Summaries
  * Upcoming Meetings & Events
  * Team of the Week: Ubuntu New Mexico
  * Updates & Security

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue131?action=show&redirect=UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter%2FCurrent

FULL CIRCLE
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2009/02/28/heres-issue-22/

      * Command and Conquer - Resizing Images With FFMPEG.
      * How-To : Program in C - Part 6, Web Development - Part 3,
      * Installing CrunchEEE To The EEE PC, and Spreading Ubuntu.
      * My Story - Making The Switch
      * Book Review - Ubuntu For Non-Geeks 3rd Edition
      * MOTU Interview - Emanuele Gentili
      * Top 5 - DVD Rippers
      * PLUS: all the usual goodness…

BUG JAM REMINDED ME
The Oklahoma Loco participated in the Global Bug Jam. It served to make
ubuntu stronger as a distro and as a community. For the whole weekend
hundreds of Ubuntu users triaged bugs, helped each other with questions,
exchanged information about Ubuntu, laughed and had fun. This weekend I
think all who participated where reminded of one of the great things
about Ubuntu, its community. The one thing that sets  Ubuntu apart is
its focus on inclusion and I think this creates a community that is
second to none. A lot of distros have communities where it is common and
accepted for people with certain questions, considered to be very basic,
to  be told to RTFM "read the fucking manual" and get lost. I have
experienced this first hand in a Debian chat room. As far as they were
concerned Ubuntu was letting in all the posers, wannabes, ect. Obviously
they were all born with the knowledge to use Linux. Teamwork and the
sharing of information is at the heart of Open Source. Ubuntu has made
respect, consideration, collaboration, and if i may borrow a 'Zen' term,
Non-Ego central to its Distro's guiding principles . None of us exist in
isolation, we are all interconnected and we depend on and are enriched
by those around us. We improve Ubuntu in order to enable the community
around us to be able to improve. This is one of the reasons I am so
attracted to Ubuntu over other distros and the Global Bug Jam reminded
me of that. I think this quote by Desmond Tutu really sums up Ubuntu and
open source software.

"A person with Ubuntu is open and available to others, affirming of
others, does not feel threatened that others are able and good, for he
or she has a proper self-assurance that comes from knowing that he or
she belongs in a greater whole and is diminished when others are
humiliated or diminished, when others are tortured or oppressed."

see how we did:
http://daniel.holba.ch/5-a-day-stats/

NEW MEMBERS
we have a new member in the Loco.
ShaneLofgren (slofgren-lofgren)
He is an Oklahoma native living in Arizona. We are lucky to have him
join our team.

--
Duane Hinnen
duanedesign at gmail.com