UbuntuOhio [fgcmh] Ubuntu 101

PTelly ziggystardust.bowie at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 20:09:59 BST 2007

I assume (not good I know) that you are targeting new user of not only
Ubuntu but to computing in general. I am new user of Ubuntu but not to using
computers. So I would be sure to make it clear what the target group is. I
am sure all new users to Ubuntu would benefit to taking this course. Is this
course to be taken is a class room setting or some other media? U might want
to consider a very brief into to camera and scanning just because so many
people have these devices. I realize that "teaching" this type of course you
must be aware of time, do not want to make it to long so people loose
interest and do not retain info.

Have a Great Day, Paul
    Be patient and helpful with one another,
Everyone has something to teach and something to learn.
    A user friendly computer first requires a friendly user.

On 6/28/07, JoE <anivair at gmail.com> wrote:

> That all looks pretty good and I think most of it is really basic, though
> I have fear that it's a lot of information (if you get into it all in any
> depth it could be way more information than it looks like in outline form to
> us geeks).
>
> Let me know if you need any help.  I administer ubuntu all day and have
> gobs of time to mess with stuff.
>
> On 6/28/07, Scott Merrill < skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
> >
> > [ cross-posted to FreeGeek Columbus and Ubuntu Ohio ]
> >
> > I'd like to start collaborating on a formal Ubuntu curriculum, starting
> > off easy for new users, and working up toward more advanced topics.
> >
> > Using "The Official Ubuntu Book" (which is CC licensed, but of which I
> > cannot find an electronic copy) as the foundation, I prepared this
> > outline for "Ubuntu 101: Introduction to Ubuntu".  I envision this
> > running between 90 and 120 minutes.  Page numbers listed below represent
> >
> > pages from "The Official Ubuntu Book" about that issue.
> >
> > * What is Ubuntu?
> > ** The definition of the word
> > ** A free, multi-user, multi-tasking operating system
> > *** what's an operating system?
> > *** what does "multi-tasking" mean?
> > *** what does "multi-user" mean?
> > *** what do you mean, "free"?
> >
> > * The Ubuntu Desktop
> > ** logging in and out
> > ** menus
> > ** desktop shortcuts
> > ** right clicking
> > ** taskbars
> > ** applets
> > ** notifications and pop-ups
> > ** shutting down
> >
> > * Working with files (p. 103)
> > ** _everything_ is a file
> > ** filesystem layout
> > ** permissions, part 1
> > ** Nautilus file manager
> > ** selecting, copying and moving files (p. 107)
> > ** bookmarks and file choosers (p. 99)
> > ** deleting files
> >
> > * Customizing Ubuntu
> > ** login screen
> > ** language (p. 100)
> > ** wallpaper (p. 101)
> > ** themes (p. 101)
> > ** screensavers (p. 102)
> >
> > * Managing Ubuntu
> > ** users and groups
> > *** who is root?
> > *** permissions, part 2
> > ** adding, changing, and deleting users
> > ** adding, changing and deleting printers
> > ** keeping up to date (p. 125)
> > ** adding and removing applications (p. 118)
> >
> > I'm not sure if things like "connecting a digital camera" or "using a
> > scanner" belong in the first class.  That strikes me as the kind of
> > material that belongs in subsequent classes (Ubuntu 102, 103, etc).
> > Ubuntu 101 would be the prerequisite.
> >
> > I'd like some feedback on this outline before I get too much farther
> > along.  What changes might you recommend, and why?
> >
> > --
> > GPG 9CFA4B35 | skippy at skippy.net | http://skippy.net/

> later,
>        ~joe auerbach

> [...]

God Bless

Microsoft Windows: the ultimate triumph of marketing over technology.

Be a HERO. Donate LIFE by being an organ and tissue donor.

Get Even: Commit Acts of Random Kindness†

"Don't be afraid of falling. Be afraid of not getting back up."
P.A.T.

Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are transmission errors.