[NYLoCo] [Fwd: Re: methods

Steven Day steven.day at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 01:36:16 BST 2007

I am not talking about General Linux books. I am books on ubuntu itself.
While I guess it would be less confusing with only having perhaps Ubuntu and
Xubuntu the core is pretty much the same on what you want to do and how you
go about it. We need to get out of this mono-cultured way of thinking about
the computer. Kubuntu users pretty much choose it because they know and like
KDE, most other users will just go with vanilla Ubuntu because it seems like
the logical choice.I don't believe anyone is getting fustrated or confused
over the difference *buntus. Overall since it is all of the same core I
don't think there will be many problems down the line with the few
difference versions we have. Hey it's better than having Pro (Mediocre) and
Home (terrible at best) versions.

On 10/19/07, Herzog <herzog at frontiernet.net> wrote:

>  I do agree that there needs to be some sort of comprehensive guide that
> people would need if they were motivated enough to take the Ubuntu CD and
> take on the task of installing it.
>  I know there was good books out there on
> ubuntu from installing to upgrading it but those, unlike the CDs, cost
> significantly more. I am open to ideas to make the CD handouts of ubuntu
> cds
> more useful.
>
> On 10/19/07, Herzog <herzog at frontiernet.net> <herzog at frontiernet.net>re-writes:
> There are way too many Linux books teaching more than anyone needs to
> know, unless it is their business or day-job..
> Few have meet the computer user, or appliance operator, who wanted to read
> a manual.  We have been spoiled by MSFT's indexed help.  Open Office carries
> on with that great help.
>
> Ubuntu may have started as THE Single latest and greatest, but instead of
> updates has become split into e-ubuntu, K- ubuntu etc.
> I think there should be only two.  THE big REAL-DEAL UBUNTU  , and a
> minimal one for old small memory slow machines, including the mythical
> storied  $100 world computer (inflation adjusted to $200 before it comes
> out) and not for USA (just like other linux machines were until DELL) if it
> ever were here would then make the minimal Ubuntu unnecessary. I think
> people need one Ubuntu, and one book, or set of instructions in plain text
> on accompany CD that runs on any machine.
>
> > Maybe even do a CD handout? With a pamphlet about what's so great
> > about Ubuntu... and how to get involved with Ubuntu NY Loco!
> >
> again
> > So how did the Ubuntu - USA - NY
> I signed up for become NY LoCo.
> again
>  Handing out CD's alone isuseless.  The
> people who know how to use them are already on Linux.
> > The CD needs notes on how to boot it, on any computer.  Other CD's
> > will boot, but Ubuntu's are special. Those who can use them are
> > already smarter than the average MSFT user.
> >
> > Wil Herzog

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build
a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate,
act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein