[NYLoCo] InstallFest - Maybe try Feisty first?

Exa Byte exabyte at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 07:34:18 BST 2007

I agree with David Gerbino, the best way to do this for newbies is
Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/).

A few reasons why:

1. You don't need to backup ANYTHING, as Wubi installs on the windows
NTFS partition and lives there (kind of like VMware but with a live
boot menu). Sure, you can backup if the users asks for it, but it's
optional with WUBI.

2. It is very easily reversible (just use add/remove programs and it's gone).

3.  No partitioning is required (refers to point #1).

4. It allows a very seamless "try before you commit" concept. If they
like it, then those that come back as a subset of the whole can then
have their drives backed up & partitioned and such for a
real-install... But those who don't take to it can leave it very
easily with no follow-up interaction required as most windows users
know how to "add/remove" programs.

The only caveat I'd mention is some disclaimer should be drawn up and
signed by each user getting their systems modified by an Ubuntu
"instructor", just to protect the goodwill of those involved from
those whose response to Linux or someone playing with their system is
unknown. These types of release forms are easy to find on the 'net.

Sandra, I'm looking forward to location details and perhaps any
timeframes you have in mind for this event.

Another suggestion:

Also, WUBI is so easy to use, we could offer a webcast or a create a
desktop-video illustrating how to install WUBI, complete with
email/irc/maillist links for the newbies to use to reach us for
support which may simplify getting the message out since it would not
be limited to a single event, but an ongoing HowTo forum that
encourages participation in the online community (and could also
graduate to in-person LUG meetings).

Regards!

Bossmanbeta.