[NYLoCo] InstallFest - Maybe try Feisty first?

Zach Stern zach at wordrockets.com
Mon Oct 8 21:26:37 BST 2007

True, also we may need a massive amount of space to perform backups with
on-site. As nice as it sounds to ask people to back up before coming . . .
most people don't even know how to do that. They may not realize its as
simple as burning their files to a CD or copying them to an external hard
drive. They may also not have those things (CDs, Burners, or an External
Hard Drive).

I've got a 4-drive external enclosure we can use, but its currently full. I
can take the drives out, and we can pop four IDE drives of any size into it
and viola, massive USB 2.0 backup.

On 10/8/07, Karlie Robinson <karlie at webpath.net> wrote:

> Sandra Greer wrote:
> > Actually, David Quist has a good point. What we can do is maybe do
> > some house calls first, trying Gutsy and then reverting to Feisty if
> > that doesn't work, and making good notes on the reasons and
> > configurations found in the wild. We would then have a knowledge base
> > for hardware drivers. The InstallFest could take place with people
> > coming in with a list of peripherals, and we could go with a
> > conservative approach. We also want to recruit junior geeks to be the
> > local experts where they live.
> >
> > The most important thing is for people to show up with all their
> > important stuff (pictures, homework) backed up to something. We want
> > them to like us afterward!
> >
> > Sandra
> >

> From a "they should like us" point of view, The easiest way to get
> people to like a new product is when everything goes off without a
> hitch.  So, why not use the 8 weeks (give or take) to plan a formal event?
>
> Not only will your event be better, but the chances that the repos will
> have software for funky hardware will be greatest.

Zach Stern
347-531-8810
wordrockets.com/blog