[NYLoCo] Successful Brooklyn Ubuntu Meeting

Zach Stern zach at wordrockets.com
Sun Oct 7 06:20:35 BST 2007

No, its not a great way to do that for your average user.

For your average user, VNC is a great way to do that. Nomachine is a great
way to do that.

SSH/SFTP/SCP is *not* a great way to do that.

I've never met a single non-geek that knows what port forwarding is, which
is necessary in order to use those services from home for the most part. In
fact, I've even met one GEEK that didn't know what it is.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but you're wrong.

Its just too complicated for your average user. Period.

Is it an intermediate skill? Maybe. But I know for a fact that my mother
wouldn't want to learn how to do that, no matter WHAT level you classify it
as. She wants to use her computer, have it work, and she wants do do
everything with a *simple* GUI.

On 10/7/07, Exa Byte <exabyte at gmail.com> wrote:

> Zach,
>
> I agree with your premise, however, often (at least these days) many
> users have a router at home and work with Laptops at the office and
> would enjoy the benefit of being able to access their files at home,
> and SSH is a great way to do that. I agree it's probably an
> *intermediate* user skill to teach, but I was more thinking out loud
> about topics, rather than insisting that SSH be forced upon newbies...
>
> Perhaps to rephrase, I am looking to foster a guided, nurturing
> environment of learning for users looking to explore Linux (Ubuntu or
> others). I never liked running into the Linux Snobs that I have often
> seen who just piss on anyone asking newbie questions and make RTFM
> wisecracks... I'm looking to counter that experience with a positive
> one.
>
> As we all agreed at our Brooklyn Gathering @ the KDog, there HAS to be
> a plethora of Linux users (or those interested in trying it) looking
> for guidance... that's our niche.
>
> Bossman.
>
> On 10/7/07, Zach Stern <zach at wordrockets.com> wrote:
> > The alternate network manager was wicd.
> > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > They have a .deb repository.
> >
> > Again I can't help but disagree with you Exabyte, in that we should NOT
> be
> > teaching the new users the basics of SSH. Well actually that depends.
> >
> > If we're talking about windows power users trying to learn linux that's
> one
> > thing.
> >
> > But for NON-GEEKS, e.g. regular folks who just want to learn to use
> linux as
> > a regular desktop/laptop OS to surf the web/compose documents/etc.
> teaching
> > them SSH would be silly, and just further prolong the stereotype of
> linux
> > being "too hard" or "too complicated". Regular users have no real need
> for
> > SSH or the command line in any way, shape, or form. They might be able
> to be
> > more productive with it, but they don't CARE. They want their computers
> > Just Work (tm).
> >
> > -Zach
> >

> > On 10/6/07, Exa Byte <exabyte at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I want to thank Zach and Nate and Lovestofail (my apologies I forgot
> > > your first name! ahh!) for making the Brooklyn Ubuntu LUG meeting a
> > > success overall -- we all got to know each other a bit and had some
> > > very nice conversations about GrandCentral and Ubuntu in general.
> > >
> > > We found out that Nate likes KDE, while myself, Zach & lovestofail all
> > > use Gnome. We also all agreed that the network manager that comes with
> > > ubuntu doesn't work 100% and Zach recommended a replacement, what was
> > > it Zach?
> > >
> > > We also talked about password managers
> > > (http://oss.codepoet.no/revelation/) for Ubuntu, and
> > about procuring a
> [...]