[NYLoCo] [Fwd: Setting Expirations for Launch Pad Team membership]

jeremy austin-bardo ausimage at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 28 20:37:19 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 10:03 -0500, Nathan Eckenrode wrote:
> I'd be more interested in having it once a year everyone has to
> recommit to launchpad membership, irregardless of anyone's subjective
> opinion of how active/inactive any particular person is or is not. I'd
> also suggest this co9incide with the approximate anniversary of the
> team's founding, so in April everyone who is listed as a member of the
> launchpad team receives an email asking them to verify their membershp.
Nathan, that would be how I plan on doing things for now. I however am
going to make it easier and just set the renew date as 1 year from
approval other wise some would have shorter limits than others :S.

> I'd also like to see the mailing list more directly tied to the
> launchpad team, ie if you are a member of the launchpad team then you
> are also on the mailing list. My reasoning on this matter is that this
> team actually has a purpose; to spread, build and improve the ubuntu
> community through promotion and advocacy; and participation in the
> team is how that is done. The mailing list, while admittedly it is low
> traffic at the current  time,  is where this participation needs to be
> most prominently developed. (Not everyone can make it to the IRC
> meetings as they have other things to schedule in meat space,-blah
> blah blah)
I too would think that would be best having all members on the list.
However, many that have been put on the list have either unsubscribed or
have had email bounces. We now have two list locations as well. I have
to keep the website list inclusive of the LP memberships. We also have
some members that are on the mailing list, but not on the LP account.

> I really do 1want people who are members of this team to be members
> who participate, I really could careless f we have 110 members or
> 110,000 members, if we only have 5 to 15 people who actually are ding
> things. Those inactive people can not even be counted as spectators if
> they are not at least on the mailing list.
I feel similarly to you. I want to build an active group that can make a
difference. We need to find ways to energize and motivate members to
work in their own communities with the support of the team behind them.
I do realize though that a portion of our team will be participants and
not volunteers. We do however need enough volunteers to support any
projects we sponsor for the participants.

So much to think about. I will not say I have all the answers to these
issues. I welcome your feedback and solutions.
--
jeremy austin-bardo <ausimage at ubuntu.com>
Ubuntu Communty Member / Ubuntu New York Leader / Ubuntu Scribes Leader