[ubuntu-us-nm] Password problem with Ubuntu 10.04

David Einerson deinerson1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 15:16:50 UTC 2013

Mr Taylor,

In my own early days with Ubuntu, I had this exact problem. Many thanks
to Eric Krieger for his assistance then, which I shall attempt to pay
forward.

There may be extenuating circumstances that can complicate this, but
give this process a try and we'll address any quirks if they come up:

During boot, immediately after BIOS post, hold down the shift (used to
be the ESC) key, which, if timed well, will show you a text based set of
boot options in a "grub" menu. The top two options will be the latest
kernel installed on the system. The 2nd of those top two options will
mention "Rescue Mode", which is what we're looking for. Booting into
rescue mode, will soon lead to another, different text based menu with
several options. One of the options near the bottom of that list is to
boot in as root. If it gets all the way to a pound (#) prompt then you
are almost done since you are then root. Then running passwd <username>
will enable you to reset that user's passwd without having to know the
current passwd. <username> should be replaced by the username created
during installation.

It can be very difficult to get the SHIFT key pressed at just the right
moment - especially on newer, faster machines, so that is likely going
to be the hardest part. As long as /home was not encrypted during
install, this process should get you going again. Note: There are
numerous ways for this process to be prevented from working, but most
Ubuntu users don't go through those steps until they have a specific
reason for them.

--
David Einerson
505-750-1878