[ubuntu-us-nm] Password problem with Ubuntu 10.04

Joe Pfeiffer joseph at pfeifferfamily.net
Thu Apr 11 02:11:31 UTC 2013

Researcher Taylor writes:

>Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>    Researcher Taylor writes:
>
>        Just re-installed and chose the option to not require password on startup.  I
>        didn't see the problem until I got an update notice.  I typed the password and
>        would not accept so I'm guessing that I accidentally hit another character and
>        did realize it until the update.
>
>        Is there a workaround to change your user password without knowing the old
>        password?
>
>    If you can log in as root, you can change a user's password with
>
>    % passwd username
>
>When you install, doesn't it set the root pw the same as the user?  If so, I
>don't know the correct password for root.

Try booting into single-user mode (it's been a while since I last used
ubuntu; back then, the default was to not have a root password nor any
way to log in as root -- you had to sudo to do anything.  But I think
that if you booted in single-user mode, it let you in as root);
failing that, one of the rescue distributions like RIP might help.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.                 http://pfeifferfamily.net/
1440 Tierra del Sol Dr                         575.525.2764 (H)