[ubuntu-us-nm] MySQL server

David Einerson deinerson1 at gmail.com
Thu May 3 20:26:13 UTC 2012

Okay, well, let's rectify that :)

I just carefully re-read you email and I should ask a few clarifying
questions - my apologies if they are answered in the 1st email and I am
simply not clear.

   1. Is the mysql instance on a local machine or a remote one from where
   you are attempting to connect? mysql, by default disables all connectivity
   except on the machine where it is installed, which means that if I ssh into
   a server with mysql installed, it considers me local and I can run commands
   all day long, but if I run a mysql client of any sort on a different
   (remote) machine, it will not connect (not sure of the exact error it
   gives). The solution to this issue is in adding the IP address in
   my.conf. Here's a good reference:
   https://help.ubuntu.com/11.04/serverguide/mysql.html
   2. How did you install mysql? Via LAMP or another more targeted install?

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Researcher Taylor <research at lawlearners.org
> wrote:

> **
> No.  Not one suggestion.
>

> David Einerson wrote:
>
> Hey there, have you gotten any assistance with this, yet? I may be able to
> help.
>
> On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Researcher Taylor <
> research at lawlearners.org> wrote:
>
>> I am attempting to set up a database in MySQL. The instructions for
>> Drupal 7 say use this command:
>>
>>    mysqladmin -u username -p create databasename
>>
>> But all I get is this:
>>
>>    connect to server at 'localhost' failed
>>    error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'

Dave Einerson
505-750-1878