[ubuntu-us-nm] Web server related questions

Kurt von Finck mneptok at mneptok.com
Sun Apr 22 14:05:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM, Researcher Taylor
<research at lawlearners.org> wrote:
> I have an Ubuntu 10.04 machine set up in another part of the house where
> I've installed Apache, PHP, etc.
>
> I can successfully access the web space from my Windows machine by just
> typing the IP address of the Ubuntu machine and get the standard greeting:
>
> ==================
> It works!
>
> This is the default web page for this server.
>
> The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.
>
> =====================================
>
> I can't figure out how to FTP into the web directory from the Windows
> machine.  I've tried using the user name and password of the primary user on
> the Ubuntu machine and it's IP address as the host but the connection is
> rejected.
>
> What am I missing?

FTP is not a service installed by default, because FTP is insecure,
deprecated and should not be used.

Use SFTP. Everything you need to use and configure it is available by typing:

sudo apt-get install openssh-server

This gives you end-to-end encrypted access to a shell via SSH, and the
filesystem via SFTP.

HTH!

--
./k

kurt von finck

http://www.mneptok.com

Music is the space between the notes. - Debussy