[ubuntu-us-nm] Ubuntu install

Kurt von Finck mneptok at mneptok.com
Mon Mar 14 09:32:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Researcher Taylor
<research at lawlearners.org> wrote:
> Unable to find documentation that addresses the problems I'm having with the
> installer.  Here's the scenario:
>
> Single hard drive, 4 partitions. Linux partitions configured manually before
> attempting to install.
>
> sda1 - Windows
> sda2 - NTFS data
> sda4 - Ubuntu boot/OS (primary)
> sda5 - Linux swap (logical)
>
> When I get to "Allocate drive space", I select sda4 to choose as the install
> partition.  If I don't choose a "mount point" for sda4, I get an error about
> "no root file system defined".
>
> options are:
>
> /
> /boot
> /home
> /tmp
> /usr
> /var
> /srv
> /opt
> /usr/local
>
> Don't know what to choose
>
> Then back in the original window, I have an option for "boot loader"
>
> Options are:
>
> /dev/sda {drive type and model} (160gb)
> /dev/sda1 Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> /dev/sda2
> /dev/sda4 Ubuntu 10.10
>
> Don't know what to choose here.
>
> I tried 4 unsuccessful installs. After re-boot, all I get is the "grub
> repair" prompt and no list of OS to choose for boot.
>
> Don't have these problems when installing to a separate drive.  Can't do
> that here because this is a laptop.

Where is /dev/sda3?

/dev/sda4 is your Linux root, or /

You'll need to install GRUB to the MBR, but make sure you install
Windows *first*. The Windows installer overwrites the MBR without
prompting, substituting whatever is there for its own bootloader.

--
./k

kurt von finck

http://www.mneptok.com

Music is the space between the notes. - Debussy