[ubuntu-us-nm] Ubuntu install

Researcher Taylor research at lawlearners.org
Mon Mar 14 06:58:06 UTC 2011

Unable to find documentation that addresses the problems I'm having with
the installer.  Here's the scenario:

Single hard drive, 4 partitions. Linux partitions configured manually
before attempting to install.

sda1 - Windows
sda2 - NTFS data
sda4 - Ubuntu boot/OS (primary)
sda5 - Linux swap (logical)

When I get to "Allocate drive space", I select sda4 to choose as the
install partition.  If I don't choose a "mount point" for sda4, I get an
error about "no root file system defined".

options are:

/
/boot
/home
/tmp
/usr
/var
/srv
/opt
/usr/local

Don't know what to choose

Then back in the original window, I have an option for "boot loader"

Options are:

/dev/sda {drive type and model} (160gb)
/dev/sda1 Microsoft Windows XP Professional
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda4 Ubuntu 10.10

Don't know what to choose here.

I tried 4 unsuccessful installs. After re-boot, all I get is the "grub
repair" prompt and no list of OS to choose for boot.

Don't have these problems when installing to a separate drive.  Can't do
that here because this is a laptop.