[ubuntu-us-nm] Question

Steve Katona srtraveler at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:39:36 BST 2010

Dave, (& Steve and anyone else who sent helpful suggestions)

I gave up. I did edit the grub--though it was not grub2--and put in the
phrase i915...but my lockup/freeze problems still happened. BTW, when I
would do another boot and enter grub edit mode my addition after quiet
splash was not there. I have tried installing 10.04 (this from Update
Manager and 10.10 from live dvd/install disc) but in both cases my
keyboard/screen would stop responding before I could type in my password (on
the series of installation screens). Sorry to say I'm sending this from my
wife's Mac while I install U9.10 on my desktop. BTW, I am running the latest
Mint--Isadora based on 10.x--on my Compaq Presario laptop w/o problems but
when I tried installing it on my Dell Dimension it froze up. I think I'm
back to plan B which is to order a new desktop from ZaReason with U10.04
installed. I have to leave for 2 weeks on the 22nd so all this will have to
come to a halt in a couple of days. I'm still willing to try things but
wondering if I can't even get past the setup screens how I can modify my
system. I also understand you all may be running down on good Samaritan
energy--it is much appreciated...sk