[ubuntu-us-nm] Question

Steve Katona srtraveler at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 18:25:11 BST 2010

Here's what I'm going to do: I will upgrade to 10.04 via update manager. I
will disable compiz. If I crash, I'll look at the syslog. I'll try to open
another console if I freeze via Alt-F2. I did enquire for drivers and got
the message no proprietary drivers on this system. I have copied and pasted
the output of lspci -vvv to the enclosed link--paste.ubuntu.com with my
email address as the poster. Please let me know if this sounds like a good
plan.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Kurt von Finck <mneptok at mneptok.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Steve Katona <srtraveler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I have posted this general question numerous times on the Ubuntu forums
> > without a single reply. Not whining just wondering if anyone has an
> answer.
> > Here's my problem: using a Dell Dimension B110 with Celeron, 2G RAM, 63G
> > available HD, single boot Ubuntu 9.10. I have been using Ubuntu since V.
> 6
> > w/o too many problems. Both V. 10.04 and V. 10.10 will cause
> lockup/freeze
> > of keyboard or mouse or screen or any combination that can only be cured
> > with hard reboot. The aplet that forces a misbehaving application to quit
> > also doesn't work to get me out of this. I have now started to see a
> > recurring problem with the mouse such that I often have to click more
> than
> > once to get a response. This is in V. 9.10. I am using a MS wireless
> optical
> > mouse (1007) and MS Optical Photo Keyboard (1027). I've had this setup
> for
> > several years.
> >
> > I'm thinking of getting a new computer from ZaReason (they assure me
> > everything will work perfectly with their equipment although they want me
> > buy their keyboard and mouse. Doesn't seem unreasonable) or trying
> another
> > Linux flavor--Mandrake?? Any comments would be appreciated...sk
>
> Try the following:
>
> 1). Disable Compiz via System > Preferences > Appearance > Desktop
> Effects. Choose None. Restart and see what happens.
>
> 2). Look at what video chipset you have and what driver for it. System
> > Administration > Hardware Drivers will let you know if there are
> non-free drivers in use on your system. Disable if they are being
> used, enable them if not. See if this makes a difference. In a
> terminal, type "lspci -vvv" and copy/paste the output to
> http://paste.ubuntu.com. Please give us the URL for your paste. The
> we'll know what hardware you have.
>
> 3). Does ALT-F2 bring you to another console during these GUI freezes?
>
> 4). What happens when you boot from a live CD (or DVD)? if you run a
> live session for some time does the same behavior happen?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> ./k
>
> kurt von finck
>
> http://www.mneptok.com
>
> Music is the space between the notes. - Debussy

Retired dilettante, recumbent bike rider, Registered Linux user #500676,
Registered Ubuntu user #29795