[ubuntu-us-nm] Question

David Einerson deinerson1 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 17:17:27 BST 2010

Steve,

I have worked with Ubuntu (various versions since 9.04) on a variety of Dell
and other older machines. Nearly every problem that hinted at the kinds of
problems you are describing has been related to the video driver for some
close cousin to the Intel 8xx, 9xx and a few other video chipset families.
What video card is in the machine? The command line "lspci | grep VGA"
should display the exact video card in the machine. Please pass along the
output from that.
In most cases, there was a switch or flag added to grub that solved the
problems.

This site is another valuable resource for these kind of questions:
http://askubuntu.com/

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Steve Katona <srtraveler at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have posted this general question numerous times on the Ubuntu forums
> without a single reply. Not whining just wondering if anyone has an answer.
> Here's my problem: using a Dell Dimension B110 with Celeron, 2G RAM, 63G
> available HD, single boot Ubuntu 9.10. I have been using Ubuntu since V. 6
> w/o too many problems. Both V. 10.04 and V. 10.10 will cause lockup/freeze
> of keyboard or mouse or screen or any combination that can only be cured
> with hard reboot. The aplet that forces a misbehaving application to quit
> also doesn't work to get me out of this. I have now started to see a
> recurring problem with the mouse such that I often have to click more than
> once to get a response. This is in V. 9.10. I am using a MS wireless optical
> mouse (1007) and MS Optical Photo Keyboard (1027). I've had this setup for
> several years.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a new computer from ZaReason (they assure me
> everything will work perfectly with their equipment although they want me to
> buy their keyboard and mouse. Doesn't seem unreasonable) or trying another
> Linux flavor--Mandrake?? Any comments would be appreciated...sk
>

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:00 AM, David Einerson <deinerson1 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Yep, fire away.
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Researcher Taylor <
>> research at lawlearners.org> wrote:
>>
>>>  Is this list accepting Linux/Ubuntu questions?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Dave Einerson
>> 505-750-1878
>> www.davideinerson.name
>>
>> --

> Retired dilettante, recumbent bike rider, Registered Linux user #500676,
> Registered Ubuntu user #29795

Dave Einerson
505-750-1878
www.davideinerson.name