[ubuntu-us-nm] Question

Kurt von Finck mneptok at mneptok.com
Mon Oct 18 17:16:53 BST 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Steve Katona <srtraveler at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have posted this general question numerous times on the Ubuntu forums
> without a single reply. Not whining just wondering if anyone has an answer.
> Here's my problem: using a Dell Dimension B110 with Celeron, 2G RAM, 63G
> available HD, single boot Ubuntu 9.10. I have been using Ubuntu since V. 6
> w/o too many problems. Both V. 10.04 and V. 10.10 will cause lockup/freeze
> of keyboard or mouse or screen or any combination that can only be cured
> with hard reboot. The aplet that forces a misbehaving application to quit
> also doesn't work to get me out of this. I have now started to see a
> recurring problem with the mouse such that I often have to click more than
> once to get a response. This is in V. 9.10. I am using a MS wireless optical
> mouse (1007) and MS Optical Photo Keyboard (1027). I've had this setup for
> several years.
>
> I'm thinking of getting a new computer from ZaReason (they assure me
> everything will work perfectly with their equipment although they want me to
> buy their keyboard and mouse. Doesn't seem unreasonable) or trying another
> Linux flavor--Mandrake?? Any comments would be appreciated...sk

Try the following:

1). Disable Compiz via System > Preferences > Appearance > Desktop
Effects. Choose None. Restart and see what happens.

2). Look at what video chipset you have and what driver for it. System
> Administration > Hardware Drivers will let you know if there are
non-free drivers in use on your system. Disable if they are being
used, enable them if not. See if this makes a difference. In a
terminal, type "lspci -vvv" and copy/paste the output to
http://paste.ubuntu.com. Please give us the URL for your paste. The
we'll know what hardware you have.

3). Does ALT-F2 bring you to another console during these GUI freezes?

4). What happens when you boot from a live CD (or DVD)? if you run a
live session for some time does the same behavior happen?

Thanks!

--
./k

kurt von finck

http://www.mneptok.com

Music is the space between the notes. - Debussy