[ubuntu-us-nm] City wide wifi access?

Kurt von Finck mneptok at mneptok.com
Wed Jan 13 20:28:27 GMT 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 05:27:36 -0700
Eric Krieger <grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Morning,
>
> I just had a CRAZY idea and wanted to get some feedback and thought on
> what everyone thinks about it.  While driving home last night I
> selected the wrong app on my iphone and launched WifiFoFum.  I left

<snip>

Portland had such a project, organized at the grassroots level without
municipal involvement.

http://www.personaltelco.net/

This effort has been far more successful than has the "official" and
commercial municipal wifi.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/breakingnews/2008/06/portlands_wifi_network_coming.html

Also, be aware that any prject may run afoul of the ... *ahem* ...
uhhh ... let me use the term "batshit crazy" fringe.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Santa-Fe-WiFi-Fears-Keep-Getting-Weirder-106308

:)

--
./k

kurt von finck

http://www.mneptok.com

public key: keyserver.ubuntu.com
key id: 5229D26A
fingerprint: 127A A484 ADBF A5AD E7FB 8CD2 8913 18F4 5229 D26A

Music is the space between the notes. - Debussy