[ubuntu-us-nm] Ubuntu Server and Joomla Permissions Issue

David Einerson deinerson1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 17:43:37 BST 2009

Hello all,

I have Joomla 1.5.14 installed and running nicely on an Ubuntu 9.04 server.
The server is fully patched and up-to-date.
The trouble I am having is that when I go to install a Joomla
Extension/Module/Plugin, etc the "inherited" file and directory permissions
only allow the user to read and write, which causes the install to either
fail or then require manual intervention to correct the failed install.

How do I get the file and directory permissions to be rw-rw-rw for user,
group, and other during installation. For example: I install CiviCRM, which
creates a few directories and lots of files in the Joomla subdirectories.
But because the inherited file and dir permissions are user rw only, the
install doesn't complete - CiviCRM can't run the SQL script to create data
tables because it doesn't have access to the newly created files and
directories.

I have tried numerous "fixes" including:

   - sudo chmod -R g+s /var/www/joomla15
   - sudo chmod -R o+s /var/www/joomla15

These look like they should work, but perhaps I am missing a step or a few.
BTW, I ran the above commands *before* attempting the install.

Currently the Joomla file structure owner and group is root and once group
and other get rw permission it works (minus db tables). Do I need a special
owner and/or group with proper permissions to inherit from?

Note: I can correct the permissions after the fact, but this only works when
the Joomla extension is created in a way that makes it possible. For
example, some extensions create database tables directly from PHP during
installation, so the extension just won't work - without *a lot* of hoop
jumping. For extensions like CiviCRM, the install PHP uses a SQL script to
create tables, which I can manually execute after the fact. But, of course,
this is a pain, when I know it should work seamlessly during install.

Any help with this "inherited" permission issue would be greatly
appreciated. I have been banging my head against it for a week.

--
Dave Einerson
IT Director
deinerson1 at gmail.com