[ubuntu-us-nm] Running MS Word on Ubuntu

Michael F. Rimbert mrimbert at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 25 02:33:07 BST 2008

I'd also recommend using LaTeX.  My opinion is that the typesetting,
particularly of mathematics, is unrivaled.  Further, it allows you to
focus on content, and not worry at all about formatting.  As an
author, your concern is conveying your idea (thesis) most effectively,
and shouldn't have to worry or be bothered with formatting the
document (dissertation) itself.  Most universities have a document
class defined for their dissertation format.  Penn State appears to
have some guidance here:

http://www.etd.psu.edu/tex.html

I prepared my dissertation and various papers using LaTeX, and would
be happy to assist you, if you decide you'd like to try it.

Mike