[ubuntu-us-nm] EPC Network

Eric Krieger grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 25 01:10:41 GMT 2008

Thanks Dude...maybe next time. =)

On another note.  You have to love DropBox (https://www.getdropbox.com)!
I forgot that anything that is in your "Public" folder can be shared to
the...Public.  Any file put in there has a corresponding public URL.
That said the EPC OpenOffice Draw Diagram doc can be found at....

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/168930/EPC/EPC-Wireless.odg

I've added this to the wireless wiki page.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Endorphin_Power_Company_Ubuntu_Install_and_Support/WirelessNetwork

Eric

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 06:37 -0700, DThomas at metrocourt.state.nm.us wrote:

> I got Cisco routers but no switches.
>

> David Thomas
>

> Eric Krieger
> <grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com>
> Sent by:
> ubuntu-us-nm-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com
>
> 11/24/2008 06:32 AM

> Ubuntu NM LoCo
> <ubuntu-us-nm at lists.ubuntu.com>
>                cc
> sam slishman
> <sam_slishman at yahoo.com>, David Einerson <deinerson1 at gmail.com>
>           Subject
> [ubuntu-us-nm]
> EPC Network
>

> Hi Everyone,
>                 So one of the topics of discussion for tomorrow's IRC
> meeting will be
> the EPC Network.  Yesterday I went buy EPC and had a great meeting
> with
> Sam, Gigi, Dave, and Jen(?). We discussed the networking options for
> EPC
> and the fact that I'm a major geek who watches Dr. Who, Star Trek, and
> reads SciFi books like "Enders Game" and "Hitchhikers Guild to the
> Galaxy."  So I'm a geek... =P
>
>                 We also spent a few minutes measuring the current
> wireless signal to
> provide a baseline if we so choose to go the wireless route. I've
> posted
> my findings to...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Endorphin_Power_Company_Ubuntu_Install_and_Support/WirelessNetwork
>
> I will also update the OpenOffice Draw diagram to reflect the current
> wired network at EPC and post exported PNGs to...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Endorphin_Power_Company_Ubuntu_Install_and_Support/WiredNetwork
>
> That said does anyone know of a online storage place that I could
> upload
> the OpenOffice Draw diagram that I've created? I'd like others to have
> the ability to download/tweak it.
>
> Anyways, a couple things to point out on the first diagram on the EPC
> WirelessNetwork page...
>
> 1 - Notice the signal and quality loss inside one of the rooms when
> the
> door is shut.
>
> 2- The 2inch conduit, that runs from the Community Building to the
> Waterman Building, is about 150ft long and terminates under a
> residents
> room at the SE side of the building. Fortunately, where the conduit
> terminates is near a crawl space that runs the length of the Waterman
> building.  The conduit does have a pull string to pull a CAT5(6) run.
>

> To make it to the Wiring closet on the NE end of the building it
> roughly
> another 150ft.  This puts that run dangerously close to the 100m MAX
> CAT5e and CAT6 length, actually 90M is the recommends MAX but 100M can
> be achieved.  To push the run either 90 or 100M we would need switches
> in the enterprise class on both ends, I don't think a little home
> networking switch (i.e. linksys, netgear or dlink) will do.

> [...]

- Eric

Eric J. Krieger
email: grammatoncleric at ubuntu.com

Random Quote:

"What am I doing here?"
        -Any recruit, any army

Mon Nov 24 18:03:50 MST 2008
18:03:50 up 57 min, 2 users, load average: 0.42, 0.38, 0.35
#1 SMP Tue Nov 4 19:33:20 UTC 2008 GNU/Linux